A diamond rivière necklace with 51 “Triple X-cut” rated diamonds will be the top lot at Bonham’s New York Fine Jewelry sale on June 22. Its estimate is $1.4 million to $1.8 million.
Triple X (also known as “Triple Ex”) is an informal designation, mostly within the trade, that means a diamond that has received excellent polish, symmetry and cut grades. Only round and round brilliant cut diamonds can receive this designation.
Each diamond in the necklace is accompanied by a Gemological Institute of America report that stating it’s three excellence grades. The graduated line of 51 round brilliant-cut diamonds weighs more than 70 carats. They are joined together by a heart-shaped diamond clasp weighing 2.04 carats. The diamonds are mounted in platinum.
Bonhams has been saying that buyers have shown a strong preference for colored diamonds and gems this year. Exemplifying this trend the auction is loaded with these colorful stones. Among the top colored lots are:
* A 3.56-carat cut-cornered, rectangular-cut fancy intense pink diamond on a ring with an estimate of $600,000 - $800,000, enhanced by a pavé-set diamond surround and mounted in 18k white and yellow gold;
* A 25-carat sapphire and diamond ring (est. $400,000 - $500,000) by M. Gerard, a famous French jewelry house known for its superior craftsmanship and superb gemstones. The richly colored crystal sapphire’s unusual octagonal cut makes this a very rare find. The sapphire is flanked by triangular-cut diamonds and is mounted in 18k gold.
* A ring designed as a pavé-set diamond star with an oval modified brilliant-cut fancy deep blue diamond in the center, which weighs 0.71 carat (est. $250,000 - $350,000);
* A 5.02-carat cut-cornered, square modified brilliant-cut fancy yellow diamond on a ring flanked by fancy-cut diamonds within a pavé-set diamond surround (est. $50,000 - $60,000).
* A fancy colored diamond and sapphire ring designed as a pavé-set diamond with a geometric plaque. The plaque centers a lozenge brilliant-cut light gray-blue colored diamond weighing 0.92 carat with acalibré-cut sapphire surround (est. $40,000 - $60,000)
The auction will begin held at 11 a.m.
Please join me on the Jewelry News Network Facebook Page, on Twitter @JewelryNewsNet and on the Forbes website.