A Celebration of Jewelry and the Business Behind the Beauty
Leibish & Co
Monday, July 22, 2013
Record Crowds at the June Hong Kong Jewelry Fair
The June Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair had 25,925 visitors from 113 countries and regions and 1,841 exhibitors from 37 countries and regions—both new records. Overseas visitor attendance at the tradeshow held June 20 - 23 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre was up about 5 percent from 2012.
This year, additional space was made available to accommodate more gemstone exhibitors, expanding the amount of exhibition space in the convention center to 64,000 square meters.
Among the highlights of the event:
* Nearly 11,000 visitors from Hong Kong, accounting for 39 percent of the total number of visitors. The rest of the visitors, 15,751, or 61 percent, were from overseas.
* The largest group of visitors from outside Hong Kong came from mainland China with 8,029; followed by India (894), Taiwan region (791), the Philippines (627), and the United States (537).
“The robust jewelry markets in Asia are filling some of the gap brought about by the weakness in the European and US markets,” said Celine Lau, director of Jewellery Fairs, UBM Asia. “This year, we again saw a double-digit growth in the number of buyers from the mainland China. This figure illustrates the continued strength of the country’s jewelry market and its potential for further growth.”
This blog is for those who are passionate about jewelry and watches and want to learn more about the industry. It's a place to find the best new products from all over the world and the latest news about the business of jewelry, watches and luxury. Readers gain a backstage pass to the glamour, fun and difficulties of the industry.
I am a freelance writer and editor who covers the luxury jewelry and watch industry for several publications, including Forbes.com the Financial Times, Hong Kong-based JewelleryNetAsiaand the Italian jewelry magazine, VO+. In addition, I have my own blog covering the jewelry and watch industry, Jewelry News Network.