The latest blue diamond to come up for auction is an 8.01-carat fancy vivid blue diamond being called the “Sky Blue Diamond.” It is the top item in Sotheby’s auction of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva to be held November 16.
The ring set on a Cartier mount surrounded by white diamonds, has a presale estimate of $15 - $25 million.
In recent years, colored diamonds have been highly prized at auctions with blue diamonds being the most sought after—setting numerous records. Among them:
* The 14.62-carat “Oppenheimer Blue” diamond, which sold for more than $57.5 million at Christie’s Geneva in May, setting a world record for any jewel sold at auction.
* The 12.03-carat “Blue Moon of Josephine,” which sold for $48.4 million at Sotheby’s Geneva, November 2015, setting a world record for the price per carat for any diamond or gem at just over $4 million.
* The 9.75-carat Zoe Diamond, which sold for more than $32.5 million at Sotheby’s New York, November 2014.
* The 10.10-carat Millennium Blue Fancy, which sold for more than $31.8 million at Sotheby’s Hong Kong, April 2016.
* The 24.18-carat “Cullinan Dream,” which sold for $25.3 million at Christie’s New York in June.
Please join me on the Jewelry News Network Facebook Page, on Twitter @JewelryNewsNet, the Forbes website and on Instagram @JewelryNewsNetwork