A Celebration of Jewelry and the Business Behind the Beauty
JNET banner ad
Leibish & Co
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Sotheby’s to Offer 75-Carat Diamond with $12 Million Price Tag
The centerpiece of Sotheby’s New York Magnificent Jewels sale on April 17 will be a 75-carat pear-shaped, D-color diamond that the auction house says it is “the most important white diamond ever to appear at auction in the Americas.” It is estimated to sell for $9 million to $12 million.
The spring auction will offer 400 lots of jewelry, gemstones and pearls with an estimated sale value of more than $35 million. Among the other offerings are the following:
* Fancy pink diamond and diamond pendant ear clips. The pear-shaped pendants weigh 5.79 and 5.68 carats. Its estimate is $3.5 million to $4.5 million
* From the Estate of Lynn Wolfson, a square emerald-cut diamond ring with a 21.46-carat, D color, Internally Flawless, type IIa diamond. Its estimate is $2.5 to $3.5 million.
Six jewels from the family of financier and railroad magnate Jay Gould acquired in the first half of the 20th Century. Among the items: . * From the Estate of Sarah Cantine Shrady Gould and Thence by Descent, an emerald and diamond brooch featuring a 22.48-carat, Classic Colombian emerald. Estimate $400,000 - $600,000.
* From the Estate of Florence Bacon Gould Sturgeon and Thence by Descent, an emerald and diamond ring with a 15.23-carat Classic Colombian emerald, circa 1930. Estimate $750,000 - $1 million.
Other highlights of the sale include:
* From a distinguished European collection, a carved colored stone, diamond and pearl “Tutti Frutti” Bracelet by Cartier. Estimate $300,000 - $500,000.
* Formerly from the collection of Katharine Dexter McCormick, a ruby and diamond ring featuring a 4.36-carat, classic Burmese ruby, circa 1900. Estimate $400,000 - $600,000
* From the Estate of Micheline Muselli Lerner, a diamond Rivière Necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels. Estimate $125000 - 175,000
* A diamond, onyx and emerald panther brooch by Cartier. Estimate $150,000 - $250,000
Highlights from the sale will be on view in the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Center April 3 – 7 before returning to New York for exhibition on April 13, alongside a selection of pieces from the upcoming Geneva auction of Magnificent Jewels & Noble Jewels.
This blog is for those who are passionate about jewelry and watches and want to learn more about the industry. It's a place to find new products from all over the world (whether from the most famous luxury houses or new designers and manufacturers), and the latest news about the business of jewelry, watches and luxury. Readers gain a backstage pass to the glamour, fun and difficulties that are part of the industry.
I am a freelance writer and editor who covers the luxury jewelry and watch industry for several publications, including Forbes.com the Financial Times, Hong Kong-based JewelleryNetAsiaand the Italian jewelry magazine, VO+. In addition, I have my own blog covering the jewelry and watch industry, Jewelry News Network.